NESF was started in 1983 by Dan & Joanne Payeur. At that time, the business was primarily offering mobile welding services and was based in Sanford, ME at their 2 bay home garage.
By 1987 an additional 24’ x 32’ (768 sq ft) bay was added to accommodate more on-premise fabrication work. With involvement from their 3 sons, the business grew rapidly and evolved into a fabrication and machine shop which would eventually command a much larger facility.
In 1996, NESF rented and moved in to a 4,000 sq/ft building in Sanford. NESF was gaining traction and proving itself as a great asset to the local manufacturing community. After only 2 years in that location, in October of 1998, Dan and Joanne purchased a vacant lot at 1893 Main St with sights set on constructing a new 10,000 sq/ft facility. Guided by Dan’s vision of that next huge step for the future of the company, work began right away. The majority of the project tasks from land clearing to construction and landscaping were completed exclusively by Dan, Joanne and the 3 boys along with help from family and friends.
In October of 2013 NESF seized an opportunity to purchase yet a larger facility in neighboring Alfred, ME. Once again, the Payeur family rolled up their sleeves and very extensively renovated the 17,000 sq/ft facility to efficiently serve the needs of the business well into the future. This effort and hands on approach has greatly contributed to NESF’s success and ability to deliver competitive pricing and services by carefully and deliberately maintaining lowest possible overhead.
New England Steel Fabricators incorporated in 1997 with Dan as President/VP and Joanne as Treasurer/Secretary with each 50% ownership.
- Dan currently spends his time as needed between production and managing facility and equipment improvements and maintenance.
- Joanne is solely responsible for office administration and accounting.
- Jason has worked for NESF full time since his graduation from Sanford High School and Technical Center in 2000 and currently manages daily work flow and other responsibilities including customer relations and inventory management.
- After attending college and a few years pursuing his own business, Justin has been back with NESF and leading production since 2011.
- Joshua is currently pursuing other interests.